The P3 is tunable over quite a range to accommodate various 1st IF's. Would it be feasible to disconnect it from the K3, tune it to 40 meters, transmit AFSK A RTTY at low power into a dummy load, and observe the transmitter's spectrum? Might need a short "antenna" in the BNC connector?

In the NAQP RTTY, I observed a station on the other side of the continent with a 20-25 KHz "noise bump" above [but not below] his signal. It was 8-10 dB above the ambient noise baseline. I watched it for quite awhile and every time he transmitted, it appeared, and when he finished it disappeared. No other station, even very strong ones, exhibited this effect.

It's hard to conjure up how any form of phase noise would be asymmetric like this. It could be some form if IMD in his TX RF chain, I guess. Another possibility is he was running AFSK USB and the noise was being generated in the sound card. This could easily be me as well and I'd like to check.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 50th Running of the Cal QSO Party 3-4 Oct 2015
- www.cqp.org