The one I got bitten by was the one reviewed here:

  http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1378

It isn't too bad for the top end of HF when most of the adjusting coil
is not involved, but performance drops off dramatically once more than
about a third of the adjustable coil is exposed. If you've got 100 watts
(or more) to drive it with then I guess you might get somewhere with it,
but with the KX3 it might as well have been a dummy load on 40 metres,
never mind with the add-on coils for the lower end of HF.

--
73, Rick, M0LEP   (KX3 #3281)