   Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 06:28:19 -0700 (MST)
   From: KM4VX<ronce...@earthlink.net>
   To:elecraft@mailman.qth.net
   Subject: [Elecraft] KX3 and Digital Modea

   I am on my second KX3, having sold the first one and then  find myself
   missing it.  However, I now find the KX3 routinely overheats in digital
   modes. Specifically, at just 5 watts on WSPR with transmission time of 2
   minutes (as regulated by WSPR software) the KX3 overheats "HI TEMP" at a
   minute and a half, resulting in a safety shutdown of the rig. This radio has
   a wonderful built-in digital capability, but digital appears beyond the
   rig's ability, save CW which is my main digital interest anyway.  I would
   like to use the KX3 occasionally on PSK, JT65 and WSPR without the absurdity
   of having to buy an after-market heat sink to replace a factory installed
   heat sink. There is no guarantee the after-market one is superior, and it
   shouldn't be necessary since a radio with a digital capability should not
   need some after-market accessory to enable the advertised digital mode. I
   wonder if anyone has found a firmware or software answer to the over heating
   problem. The overheating problem happens regularly in digital modes and I
   believe comments about the KX3 working correctly in digital are simply
   incorrect. This is not an antenna issue and not an SWR issue.
   Thanks Ron
   KM4VX