Jeff,

RS-232 is a point to point protocol only. That means there can be only one driver on an RS-232 signal line. You have 2 drivers on the signalling lines - if one is trying to send data while the other one is in an idle state, the one in the idle state will override the data being sent. That is your problem with the Y cable. You will have to find another way. LP-Bridge can assign an output port on the computer. I have never done it, but I know it is in the instructions.
See www.telepostinc.com.

73,
Don W3FPR