At least, I think it's amazing.

I have my K1 on the workbench right now for some testing. I've got a little 5-watt dummy load plugged in as I was doing some tests with the power and SWR meters in the KAT1.

And suddenly, with just a dummy load, I was listening to W1AW code practice on 40 meters!

When I heard the faint code, my first thought was that I'd left a PIC beacon controller running on my bench. When I realized that nothing on my bench was turned on, I thought maybe I have a ham neighbor that I wasn't previously aware of. Then I heard the callsign, and realized it's code practice, coming from Newington CT!

So I had to try it with the K2...I put it in the same spot, plugged in the dummy load and tuned 7047.5. Hey, it works on the K2 as well! RF Gain at max, AF Gain at "2 o'clock" and pre-amp on, and I can hear W1AW in the K2 speaker, using just a dummy load for an antenna.

So, is this amazing proof of the great Elecraft designs? Or does this sort of thing happen all the time?

73 de Stephanie
va3uxb
K2#5311 - K1#2132