I use diversity (vertically and horizontally polarized antennas) on CW a lot, and there's more to it than just selecting the louder signal. I can't put my finger on the precise mechanism, but it seems that CW characters are less prone to being damaged by bursts of QRN in diversity mode.

73,
Vic, 4X6GP/K2VCO
Rehovot, Israel
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/