I don't use HRD, but the configuration should be basically the same regardless of which software you use. My guess as to what was wrong initially would be sound card output level too low or muted, but since then you have made changes in the wrong direction.

First, you didn't mention which mode you were trying to use, but I am assuming it is a sound card digital mode. In digital modes, you should put the K3 into DATA A mode. In principle it is possible to use USB, but you have to change all sorts of other settings between digital modes and SSB (audio input selection, TX and RX EQ off, compression off, and maybe different Vox settings). Using DATA A relieves you of all that reconfiguring every time you change modes. If your software doesn't want to let you use DATA A, maybe it isn't configured correctly for the K3.

Next, since your sound card's output is connected to the K3's Line In jack, then MIC SEL should be set to Line In. That's where the audio input will be coming from. This setting is remembered separately in DATA A vs. phone modes.

In digital modes, MIC+LIN should be Off (actually it will be N/A when MIC SEL is set to Line In). You do not want room sounds, fan noise, your breathing or anything you say being transmitted on top of the digital signal.

The MIC level control (which will actually be the LINE level control with MIC SEL = Line In) is set in conjunction with the computer's sound card level control. With the transmitter connected to a dummy load and/or transmit power dialed down to nothing, set the software to transmit using an audio frequency in the middle of the waterfall, put the computer's playback level control for the sound card you are using somewhere in the middle of its range (not all the way up and not all the way down), and adjust the LINE level on the K3 and/or the computer's level control until the K3's "ALC" meter reads 4-5 bars. To adjust the transmitted signal power, use the PWR control - don't change the MIC/LINE gain control once it is set correctly.

There are several different ways to control TX/RX switching, but it appears as if you have one working, so we don't need to go into that unless you are having problems with it.

73,
Rich VE3KI

HK2LS wrote:

I have my K3 connected to the PC and the K3 software works fine.

I have 2 audio cables between Line IN and Line Out of the K3 to the Mic and
Speakers on the PC.

With HRD - I see the QSOs on the screen and of course the waterfall display
at the bottom with an Audio level of 10%.    When I attempt to call CQ -

The K3 goes into transmit but there is no power coming out of the radio.

MIC SEL was set to Line In I changed it to FP

MIC+LIN was set to NA and I set it ON and the MIC level is set to 60.

Still no difference.

Any other ideas??