Jer,

I understand that this is not directly in response to your question/statement, but reflects the "other side of the fence" I have been dealing with Elecraft hams since 2003. When I do independent work, I normally ask that a check be send for payment. I have done more than 700 independent repair/build/upgrade actions since then, and I have never had a problem with the hams I have done business with - and the amounts of the checks range from a low of $20 (to cover shipping) to over $1000 (for build of 2 fully loaded K2s). I may change the way I operate if I am ever 'burned', but so far I have discovered that I am dealing with a bunch of very honest hams, and I continue to trust.

I suspect that you will find the same of hams offering Elecraft gear and 'bits and pieces' here on the Elecraft reflector. I don't know if I would extend that same trust to those advertizing on eHam or Ebay, but from my experience, most hams are quite honest. Yes, I have seen reports of some horror stories, but among hams, I think you will find that rare.

73,
Don W3FPR