On Fri,8/21/2015 7:53 AM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:
VRC contest club members have known this very useful fact for quite a
few years now. Our 3A North Carolina field day group (N4C this year)
goes to 100% K3 on HF bands for field day so that we can have both CW
and SSB going on the same band.

Yup. And you're not the only ones. My old club back in Chicago, running 3A as K9OR, regularly places in the top of their class. They've been all K3 for quite a few years.

I'm part of a team that sets up 3-4 stations in a rare county for the California QSO Party. We carefully locate antennas to minimize interstation interference, with a goal of CW and SSB on the same bands. We've ALWAYS run K3s with 600W power amps into tribanders separated by about 250 ft, and 80/40 dipoles with about 400 ft separation and arrayed colinearly. This year (Oct 3-4) will be our first year with new synth boards. When we have enough of them, the amps are all KPA500s. One year I brought a used ACOM 1010 I had acquired thinking that being a tube amp, it might be cleaner. Turns out it's got a bit more IMD than the P3.

73, Jim K9YC