Mark,

I am glad to hear that you now have resolved the problem. Sorry to hear of your frustration, but those computer COM port issues can indeed be frustrating at times.

The connection with the serial adapter cable to the P3 *should* have worked. That means you may have to do some additional investigation. I would first suspect the K3 to P3 RS-232 cable, or the connectors - make sure the jackscrews are properly fastened. Now that the crisis has passed, connect the K3 to P3 serial cable and connect your P3 to the USB to serial cable - then see if K3 Utility can find and connect with the K3. If not, then troubleshoot that particular problem.

I would also suggest that you obtain another USB to serial adapter - preferably one with an FTDI chipset. You should have a couple of USB to serial adapters on hand to use. It is always good to have a spare to use just as a check - they are not that expensive and serve as good insurance when you can try an alternate. I recall that you initially tried loading the firmware through a Microham device - that is a "NO-NO", disconnect the Microham and connect directly through a proper working USB to serial adapter when loading firmware.

I do not know anything about Windows 10 yet, but I recall reading somewhere that it is not always consistent in the COM port assignments when using USB to serial adapters - perhaps that was part of your problem - determining the correct COM port to be used in K3Utility. Yes, K3Utility can *usually* detect the correct COM port, but there are some occasions for 'false positive" responses that can occur when it does a port search, so it is best to determine which COM port your operating system has assigned for your USB to serial adapter and tell K3 Utility to use that COM port. In prior versions of Windows, it was as simple as going into Device Manager and looking at the Ports - unplug the adapter to see which port goes away, and then plug it back in and see which COM port is assigned to that adapter. Windows 10 may be a bit different, but something similar should exist.

Howard may or may not see your post to the reflector - I don't know if he monitors the reflector in his "off hours". It would be best to send him a direct email. At this hour, he should be off enjoying his weekend, but I don't think he would not leave a customer "hanging" if you have had prior communications with him.

73,
Don W3FPR