George,

Just in case it isn't quite clear.

   DO THE SPECIAL CABLE

The special cable is what makes the DB9 jack safe to connect to any of the
RS232 stuff, including the USB to serial adapter.  The special cable, a "Y"
cable, puts the three "safe" RS232 leads on one side of the Y and the
"dangerous" Elecraft proprietary K2 internal voltages on the other side.

If you have no external need for the proprietary voltages, you can just do
the RS232 half of the Y to hook up serial stuff.

There are useful variants of this You can do, such as the RS232 half of the
Y only, with a mini tip ring sleeve stereo plug on the non K2 end. This
with a "bundled" key lead hooks up the K2 to my bitty MicroHam CW Keyer for
portable QRP contest operations. The CW Keyer then connects to my laptop
with a USB cable, adding all the useful Winkey functions.

Good luck and
73, Guy K2AV

--
Sent via Gmail Mobile on my iPhone