Jim;

Dick’s advice is sound. When in OPER mode, the KPA will display an asterisk on
the left side of the display when PTT is applied. If you are seeing that
indicator, check the PTT connections to see if there is a short to ground. When
using the KPA with your K3S, you should only use the AUX I/O cable,
nothing should be plugged into the PTT jack on the KPA500. If this is the case,
then check the AUX I/O cable to make sure that no pins are bent. If you
see one bent over, try to straighten it without breaking it (might be
difficult) and try the cable again.

There were no firmware changes for the KPA500 for the K3S. The interface and
use is identical to that with the K3. The latest shipping firmware is V1.38,
which is what you should be using in your KPA.

- Jack, W6FB
Elecraft Engineering