Well, the K2, K1, KX1, K3 and KX3 are unique in that they contain certain options, so I believe insurance is worthwhile. If I were a company shipping something that is non-configurable, and I had replacement stock, then you are correct that it would be less expensive over time to simply replace whatever was lost or strayed. But if you have essentially a one-of-a-kind item, insurance is a good idea.

As far as damage goes, the only time I have seen damage is when the article is not well packed in the box. If it can move inside the packaging, there is a good chance of damage. Think about an abrupt stop at the end of one of those roller package handling conveyers. That is when knobs or antenna jacks could come in contact with the inside of the packaging. Bubble wrap and packing peanuts work well for packing, but those large air bags should not be used with anything having substantial weight. I have seen many of those large air bags that have popped and allowed the contents to move after they pop. Soft foam sheets do not work well either, they 'squish' too much.

73,
Don W3FPR