It seems to me that, if the calculated weight of the shipment exceeds the limit for First Class Mail, the option could be "grayed out" or a message to that effect could be displayed next to the "Shipped to you via:" field. Also, when First Class Mail is the chosen option, it does say "Small Parts, USA ONLY, 14 Oz. Max."

Even if Elecraft contracts for web development, they certainly can press the developer(s) for such an option.

73 de Jim - AD6CW