I have turned off computer sleep on my Late 2012 iMac. It is set to “Never.” I
do have my screen set to go to sleep. I have an add-on called Caffeine which,
when selecting with my mouse, will allow me to either keep the display on or
allow it to go to sleep. It’s my understanding that OS X runs its utilities
during the wee morning hours and I don’t want to interfere with that (I could
be wrong).

As for a powered USB-3 hub the HooToo hub works great:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FR795WA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01

<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FR795WA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01>

I do *not* try and run my external sound card through it.

73,
Joel - W4JBB