Most (if not all) the Elecraft "auto tuners" will not tune unless commanded by a tap of the TUNE button. The "automatic" part means that once tuned, the tuner will remember the L/C settings for that frequency and will return to it when you move the VFO to that band segment.

That means that your transmission is not interrupted by the tuner attempting to tune while you are transmitting. The KXAT1 and KAT500 are the exception, if placed in "AUTO" it will attempt to tune when it senses a high SWR. On SSB particularly, that may initiate a false SWR reading. The instructions for the KXAT1 tell you to "train the tuner" to your antenna and then change it to "MAN" mode so it does not respond to those false SWR indications.

73,
Don W3FPR