Glenn,

While it certainly does sound like your 7805 regulator has gone 'belly up'
(you said it clicked relays at first and then stopped), I would revisit the
resistance readings at the output pin of U5 as a first order of business.
If you still fine >2k resistance on that line, then suspect the regulator -
OTOH, if the resistance is significantly lower, find the short or solder
splash - and remember to examine the soldering on the connectors too - yes,
with a solder splash it could have worked initially and only became shorted
when things were moved a bit.

73,
Don W3FPR