I'd like a comparison with the IC-7851.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sVpoPJKgo8

On 9/12/2015 2:31 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
On Sat,9/12/2015 2:12 PM, Skip Cameron wrote:
If anyone has done a K3 to IC-7800 comparison, please reply direct to me
with your assessment.

I've never seen a 7800, so no experience. However, ARRL and Rob Sherwood have. Rob's data is on his webpage. It concentrates on receiver performance. I've gathered ARRL Lab test data for a selected bunch of modern rigs and published it in a form making it easier to compare the rigs as TRANSMITTERS. My report is at http://k9yc.com/TXNoise.pdf

The original K3 is MUCH cleaner on CW than the 7800. Also, the original K3 has about 15 dB less phase noise than the 7800, which matters a lot on Field Day and at a multi-TX contest station. The new synth board reduces both TX and RX phase noise quite a bit (I've heard numbers in the range of 10 dB).

I haven't seen ARRL Lab tests of the new K3S or a K3 with the new synth board, but I suspect both will turn out to be at the head of the pack for TX cleanliness. Yes, I know about Pure Signal -- NR0V is my neighbor.

73, Jim K9YC
_