Hi Al,

The Central Limit Theorem says that it doesn't matter what the distribution function is for each individual signal. As long as there are a lot of them, the total has a Gaussian distribution. In fact, it doesn't take very many to get quite close to Gaussian - something like 4 to 6 is generally sufficient if they are roughly equal in amplitude and uncorrelated (different frequencies).

Alan N1AL