FreeDV is open source. You can use the FreeDV API
(http://www.rowetel.com/blog/?p=3469 <http://www.rowetel.com/blog/?p=3469>) or
get a box that will implement it and can be updated with new protocols
(http://www.rowetel.com/blog/?page_id=3902
<http://www.rowetel.com/blog/?page_id=3902>). Or you can download the FreeDV
app. Or download the source, either one from here:
http://freedv.org/tiki-index.php <http://freedv.org/tiki-index.php>

Dave Rowe (VK5DGR)  is actively improving both the HF and VHF variants of
FreeDV, with very interesting articles on his blog. He’s working on a low
bitrate version for nasty HF signal paths (FreeDV 700), and is working on a VHF
digital voice mode with two levels of fidelity always transmitted. When you get
more signal, you get more fidelity (http://www.rowetel.com/blog/?p=3931
<http://www.rowetel.com/blog/?p=3931>).

Here are some samples of the current 700 bitrate codec:
http://www.rowetel.com/blog/?p=4291 <http://www.rowetel.com/blog/?p=4291>

And some A/B comparison QSOs with SSB and FreeDV:
http://www.rowetel.com/blog/?p=4527 <http://www.rowetel.com/blog/?p=4527>

Dave is doing some very exciting stuff, I’m impressed. And it’s all free.

wunder
K6WRU
CM87wj
http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)