Hi Gerald, KC6CNN,

Like most folks, I live in a suburban area so my noise level is high for 40 and 30 meters compared to those lucky folks living in rural areas. Living just two blocks for a shopping center doesn't help! For me turning on the AFT filter is helpful in reducing background noise (both random and close in signals during contests); tuning is then a bit tight but using three digits showing for fractions of a kHz makes it manageable. I leave the RF gain fully on. To reduce noise levels in general (which helps with CW too) I added a second receiver (SUB RX in K3), attached it to a 20-meter Beverage antenna via the AUX antenna input option and turned on the DIVERSITY MODE RX feature. With these additions, the K3 does a better job with the CW decode as well, although I seldom look at that any more. If you like, I'll send you a writeup on my 20-meter beverage; I wound my own cores for the 450 to 50 ohm matching transformer. To my surprise - with just 70 feet of back fence room, I gained over 2 S units for S/N, as noted on my P3 with I hook up the beverage to that for testing.

73, Phil, W0XI, Lawrence, KS.

---