Byron,

I use the Heil ProSet7 with my K3, and it works very well.

On the earphone side, I think the drivers are optimized for
communications, and that is fine. They are very sensitive, and I rarely
operate with the AF gain beyond about 9 o'clock unless I close down the
filters in CW mode. The passive noise-reduction via the fit of the ear
pads is outstanding. I can barely hear when the KPA500 fan commences to
roaring.

Regarding the microphone, I went with the HC7 dynamic over the iC electret
element because the HC7 seemed to me to have better built-in EQ that would
be favorable for good communications audio, than the iC. The HC7 requires
a bit more gain, but the K3 can easily provide it. I connect via the
front-panel Mic connector on the K3, and use the built-in K3 mic preamp
for the front panel microphone connector that is accessible via the menu
"7" keypad key while in the above mode. I find that a front-panel "Mic"
setting of about 50 works very well, and I generally use a front-panel
compression setting (CMP) of about 18. Close-talking the microphone will
probably be required, unless you naturally speak loudly. I do not.

As a starting point for the EQ, I would suggest that you begin with the
following settings:
1  -16
2  -9
3  -4
4  -6
5  -2
6  +5
7  +10
8  +10

The resulting tx audio is very articulate, and sounds good to my ear and
evidently to others who had commented favorably on the audio quality
without being asked. I happen to be a big fan of the Heil HC5 element,
which sadly, is no longer being manufactured, and with some significant
EQ, this HC7 can be made to sound pretty similar. This is a very
subjective topic though, so some experimentation is in order for your
particular voice and personal preferences.

Have fun!

73,
Dale, WA8SRA

I went with the