Stephanie, All

Here's my suggestion for a 10 M beacon. If you homebrew currently with modest success you can probably build it...

Mix a 24.0 mHz crystal and a 4.194 crystal with a 612 mixer...yup, no expensive custom-cut crystals, just a couple of half-buck uP crystals. That will get you to the bottom of the US beacon band I believe...28.194 mHz. For the crystals oscillators use VXOs...you can bend the crystals up into the beacon band a ways, no doubt, in that manner. Might try using a couple of old air varicaps to tune the crystals to maximize stability as much as possible...no tuning diodes. After the mixer-- a double-tuned bandpass filter, then a couple of amps to bring it up to the output level you desire. I would use a keyer chip with a memory to run it...maybe from Jackson Harbor, they have some with memory, perhaps enough for a beacon. Also, if you wanted to get a bit fancy... build/install it in an insulated box with a small light bulb for a heater to stabilize the temp even more...ah...the possibilities are endless...

Now, I'm just a farmboy with an active imagination, not an RF engineer...

Mike N0MF