​Doug,

You might consider using a remote antenna tuner, like the SGC-230.  I 've
used them for several all band antenna's, horizontal and vertical, and they
have worked quite well for me.  Here is a link to some interesting and
thorough explanations and suggestions from SGC about various types and
considerations regarding all band antenna's incorporating a remote tuner at
the antenna feed point.

http://www.sgcworld.com/technicalInfoPage.html

A somewhat less expensive remote tuner is the GC-3000.  (I read somewhere
that this is the same as the MFJ remote tuner, but I'm not sure about
that.)  I own one of those and it works almost as well as the SGC tuner.
It just doesn't seem to have quite the matching range as the SGC tuner.
This means you might have more band segments with a 1.5:1 or 1.7:1 match
instead of a 1.1:1.

John K7KEY