Ron  - Sometimes I think there must have been real compitions between
operators.  Maybe in the military.  No firsthand experience here.  I put in
for radio school in 1964 but they sent me to cook and baker school.  I
worked with a guy who had been on a ship.  He said that when someone
challanged him, he removed the weight completly.  He may have been braging.
I just read a chapter from the novel "The Nymph and the Lamp" by Thomas
Raddel.(sp?)  A shore station was challanged by a ship operator.  When the
dust settled, the best operators on both side had been called into the
contest.  This was full contact Morse code.  I just plunk along under 20wpm
but I enjoy the mechanical keys.  I like being in control of what I send.
Rick - K7MW

--------------------------------

That's a GREAT book, Rick.

If a shore operator ran into someone who wanted to QRQ they obliged to the
best of their ability. In my experience, ship operators aren't a lot
different from Hams. Some were very competent and others less so. I knew a
few who could barely make 10 wpm. LR's bug cable-clamp weight held his speed
to just about 20 wpm. That was probably common. Most bug users do the
"Farnsworth" thing to slow down, sending letters at normal speed but opening
up the spacing.

The early days of radio, such as "The Nymph and the Lamp" covers, were a bit
different. In general operators got more rigorous and consistent schooling.
At the least, the skill of every operator reflected mightily on the station
manager who took great pride in his operation and would tutor or replace
anyone he found lacking. Even at sea the operators all usually worked for
the same company and inspectors monitored the circuits looking for LIDs. For
example shipboard operators on Marconi-equipped ships were all Marconi
wireless employees and all shipboard operators on Telefunken ships were
Telefunken employees, etc. They were not regular ship's crew members but
employees of the wireless company. Indeed, it was that confusion of
loyalties, in which the operators were instructed that it was more important
to move paid telegrams than to provide "convenience" messages for the
Captain, that was one of the critical issues behind went on aboard the
Titanic that April night. One of the changes after the Titanic sinking was
that shipboard radio operators signed "articles" as regular crew members
under the direct control of the Captain.

You are right that there were and are commercial QRQ ops out there! In later
years up into WWII and beyond many private and government circuits involved
the same operators, all with high levels of training and experience, who
enjoyed literally burning up the airwaves.

Still the good ops at a station like KPH were no slouches! I stopped by to
chat with LR one day and he wanted to introduce me to a buddy who was on
duty. His buddy was busy hammering out an incoming message from a ship on
his typewriter - "mill" - as we approached. I could hear the CW pounding
away. His buddy jumped up and shook my hand and we chatted for perhaps the
best part of a minute before he said, "'cuse me" sat down, sent an "R" and
hammered away at the mill like a madman for a bit completing the copy of the
message that he was reading in his head as he chatted with me! All this
while the NEXT message is starting to come in, and he still had time to
exchange a few words before we left him.

I can hold a conversation with the XYL while in a CW QSO, although I might
tell the XYL that I'm running an Elecraft K2 and tell the guy in the air
that I'll pick up milk next time I go to the store...

Ron AC7AC