I've also tried using an electronic key as a DOT generator. As another
writer has already said it's not a very good solution.  The bio-feedback is
missing.
On the other hand, ten years ago I aquired an extra speed weight from
Vibroplex and put it onto the key's arm together with the original one.
Works like a charm. The dot speed may be reduced to about 15 WPM with both
weights pushed toward the far end - if you want.
This brings back fond memories of my carreer as a young W/O in the merchant
navy. I persuaded one of the ship's engineers to machine a brass
speedweight,  about double the size of an original weight which it
replaced. This feature reduced the dot speed of my Vibro considerably to
match my own dash speed perfectly. When sending messages that MUST be read
100% at the other end readability is very important! Well, the coast station
operator at OXZ after receiving ten og fiften messages without having to ask
for repetitions (I got just an R and a K after every message) finally asked me if
I was using an automatic transmitter!
Rick, OZ5RM