On Thu,10/1/2015 9:51 PM, way235 wrote:
I am using a Kenwood MC-43s and had the settings at MIC 13 and CMP 30 when I
got the complaints.
While talking on the air I changed to MIC 11 and CMP 3 and was told it sounds
good now.

You're looking at the wrong indicators. Don't look at the numerical values of MIC and CMP, look at the indications of COMP on the meters as you talk. Your results suggest that the mic you're using is pretty hot, so you want to set MIC GAIN to Low in the Menu, then follow instructions in the Manual for setting Mic Gain and COMP.

When setting COMP, watch COMP on the meter, and adjust the CMP pot so that you see no more than 10 dB COMP peaks on the meter.

73, Jim K9YC