Greetings, all-

Here is a small tidbit of possibly useful information in this period of low
sunspot activity, which probably everybody but me knew anyway.

The PAR EndFedZ is a popular backpacking or portable semi-QRP (25 watts
maximum) multi-band antenna covering 40, 20, and 10 meters. (It will also cover
30, 20, and 10 if the wire "stinger" is shortened.) Being a half-wave antenna,
no radials are needed.

I found that if both sides of the coax coming out of the PAR matchbox are tied
together and treated like a random wire, the internal tuner in my Icom IC-703
would match it on 80 meters, with a resulting SWR of 1.2. I used about a 34 ft.
counterpoise with this setup. I'm looking forward to seeing if the internal
tuner in my KX-1 with the forthcoming 80 meter board will also match it.

The IC-703 was unable to get a match on the WARC bands or on 15 meters. Sorry.
I think a more robust tuner could probably match those bands as well. An
experiment for another day.

73, Grif, KF4JG

Sorry, the previous attempt to send this had unacceptable formatting embedded
in the text. I don't know how much went through, but some of it got bounced.