This strictly my personal opinion, but I did not
even consider "up-grading" my K3 by purchasing the
newer boards.   Mainly for this very reason.  What
ru gonna do with the old boards?  They have
practically ZERO value.

BUT, a good working K3, even if it doesn't have
the super synth board etc., still has significant
value. Maybe not quite as much as it did B4 the
K3S came out, but I figured I could sell my 23XX
S/N K3, buy a new K3S and come out ahead of
upgrading with a couple new boards and throwing
the old ones in the dumpster.  This way, the "old"
boards have not been converted to junk and a good
K3 is still on the air.  Also, I don't have to
worry if some little known production upgrade
slipped by me since my brandie new K3S has 'em
all.  Stated in different terms, I bought a K3S
and sold my K3 for less of a $$ difference than if
I had purchased the new version boards for my
older K3.

Not trying to start a fight, it's just my opinion.

73, Charlie k3ICH