Eric,

I am pleased to see this topic raised,

I was one of the first users of the K3/0 mini with a long back-ordered unit.
For me the set-up process was lengthy (5 weeks working at two sites 100
miles apart), painful, educational and eventually very successful. I am
delighted to be able to experience excellent multi-mode ham radio from my
Manhattan basement office with my K3/100 more than 100 miles from here!  To
get the system going (every aspect of my current set up is now carefully
documented), required numerous communications with Brandon by e-mail and
phone (he was very patient!) and directly with RemoteRig in Sweden - even
two phone calls.   I can easily identify why this was so difficult.  The
terse manual from Elecraft and the huge document from RemoteRig were written
by and for people who have Internet networking familiarity and experience.
Though I am a technical professional, I had no such experience -
understanding and using DDNS services, SIP, port forwarding, ports in the
DMZ, etc was a new challenge.  The manuals from either provider did not
really help with the fundamentals of Internet networking set-up for a first
time user.

While I fully agree with the respondents who have suggested that a single
source - Elecraft - should provide a single manual that addresses both
RemoteRig and K3/0 set up and operational issues, some way must be found to
address the market/users that do not have familiarity with Internet
networking in general. Maybe there is some already existing primmer that you
could supply with the equipment or the manual could contain a chapter with
the basic networking information. I suspect that such information would
reduce Brandon's e-mail by a huge amount. Your job is not primarily to
educate users on Internet networking, but I think there is a large community
of potential K3/0 owners/users who would benefit from such basic
information; it would rebound to Elecraft's benefit, I'm sure.

73 from a happy K3/0 mini to K3/100 user.

Buzz

W3EMD

Message: 17