From my point of view there is another consideration at hand here. A hardware interface like LP-Pan that provides I-Q signals to a PC sound card allows the use of other SDR-type software like CW Skimmer, and while CW Skimmer may not be of interest to everyone I believe other third party software will eventually show up that would be desirable to me.

One that is dear to my heart would be an application that quantifies splatter and key clicks from crummy signals. I suspect that would be difficult for SSB signals, but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be practical for CW.

Another possibility might be an app that profiles propagation over time based upon received callsigns with the rig otherwise unattended.

The P3 is a panadapter, and by all accounts a very good one ... but an LP-Pan with the right software could be much more.

73,
Dave   AB7E

p.s. As far as I know, the P3 has to generate its own I-Q signals internally. I've never understood why Elecraft didn't provide them as buffered outputs from the P3 to make it more versatile. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong here.