Hi Ed.

When the other fellow (sorry, just went blank on his name) said u need a good
sound card, he was right, mostly. The better the soundcard the better nap3 will
work. However, when I first started - say, the first 3 months or so, I used the
soundcard built into my Old Dell D620 laptop (W7), and it worked plenty well
enough to get me hooked on panadapters. Biggest limitation is that the maximum
bandwidth with the old dell (based on the bandwidth of the soundcard) was 48khz
- where's my pricy external soundcard allows 192Khz. .  That may sound like a
big deal, but truth be known since im a cw and rtty guy, I don't find much more
than 50khz to be all that useful. Point is, as long as whatever MIC input u use
is STEREO, you can  use it and gain experience with it.

Should mention that according to the author of NaP3, comocon works  with NaP3.
In fact he stated he prefers it because it loads faster.

Detail: if u use lp-bridge, be sure to put NaP3 on the "set port."

As for what's easiest and best... It depends on you. I own Win4k3. It is an
interesting program, that brings lots to the table. However, for me, the only
piece that was (is) of real interest is the panadaptor.  You can download a
trial and test for yourself.  Personally, so far, I strongly prefer NaP3 as a
panadapter.. But of course, there is no right or wrong regarding taste.

 what do I like? I LOVE that NaP3 can put spots right on the spectrum. Worth
its weight in gold. I also love working Rtty and CW: positioning yourself in a
pileup is incredibly easy. I just got a feature working called the data/text
window, which displays decoded data or CW in one window and allows u to type in
the other.

For now, I count nap3 as second to my rig and antenna in importance to my
enjoyment of the hobby.

 After all, I can still use a paper log if I have to...

73, Chris NW6V

: "Ed" <k7...@yahoo.com>