Chris,

If you see nothing on the display, check to be certain you soldered pin 1 of
the U1 socket.  If you missed it (and several other folks have made that
error) it is a bit tricky to solder since the LCD is now in place, but you
can cut away a bit of the plastic from the socket and solder the pin from
the socket side of the board.

If you missed soldering some of the LCD pins, you would likely see some
stuff displayed (even though it looks like garbage).  If you have doubts
about the LCD soldering integrity, solder the legs from the top of the
board.

Another thing that can give strange troubles is the soldering of the
connectors - there are connector points on the Control Board, the RF Board,
and the Front Panel board - signals from the Control Board to the Front
Panel must go through 2 sets of connectors.

73,
Don W3FPR