Out of the box all pins on the microphone connector are open circuit. There is an internal jumper block that has bias free microphone audio and resistor free 5 volts on it. If you are seeing 5 volts on pin one on the external connector it is because someone has wired 5v to it. There may or may not be a load resistor on that, although if pin 1 is audio, one would expect there to be one.

The jumpers are designed to be hardwired, but it is just possible to use an IDC connector as a pluggable jumper and there is a third party product, currently out of production, that provides plug in, configurable jumper blocks.

If the connector is wired properly, other than the bias, you want to unsolder the bias resistor from the jumpers.

It is unusual to find dynamic microphones on PCs, but if you do, they will normally have a mono plug. The normal PC microphone socket feeds bias to ring and audio to tip. If you plug in a dynamic microphone, bias is harmlessly shorted. If you plug in an electret, the microphone has tip and ring connected together internally.

If you have a stereo plug on the microphone, I wonder if you have actually measured the substrate diode forward voltage, rather than any resistance.

--
David Woolley
Owner K2 06123