I'm sorry about the previous post. I found the relevant email(s). I
apologize.

-----Original Message-----
From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Howard
Hoyt
Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2015 11:09 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] Soldering crimped connectors is not a good, thing.

On 11/5/2015 8:24 PM, Michael Blake wrote:

I want to throw in the presence of possibly counterfeit connectors as well.

This is important; in evaluating suppliers for our adapters at Pro Audio
Engineering we were sent a sample of non-Anderson PP connectors which just
did not mate correctly with the real thing. The leaf spring under the
contact was of insufficient preload to keep the pair mated under light
tension, which also throws the reliability of the contact resistance into
question.

We didn't find a problem with crimp retention, but that is so very specific
to the actual ID of the ferrule and the gauge of the wire being crimped. It
is possible that someone using a wire at the small end of the range for that
specific contact could have a problem. It can be compelling to save 50% or
more on a connector, but we ended up using Anderson PPs, and have had zero
quality issues as a result.

Howie - WA4PSC
www.proaudioeng.com

delivered to n...@comcast.net