So, I am a very casual participant in CW SS, usually just enough to get the
participation pin.
This was going to be interesting using my 2 week old K3S in the contest.
I knew there had been some geomagnetic storming and even though the flux was
high, I thought conditions could be iffy.
As the Sun went down, I dropped down to 40M and was surprised that there wasn't
much going on.
In fact, there wasn't even a lot of atmospheric or manmade noise present.
Checked the ATTN.  Nope, it was off.
RF Gain was at maximum and even tried Preamp 1, but it didn't seem to make much
difference.
My dipole was OK, because on my external power meter, power was going up the
coax and not coming back.
Just weird conditions I guess, but very slow going on 40M.  Only made about 10
contacts in 40 minutes.
Dropped on down to 80M and finished my contest effort that night.
Next day, I decide to troubleshoot the 40M problem.
Doh!
40M was set up to receive on the RX only antenna, and I don't have one
connected.
Glad it was an easy fix.
Still made some 40M contacts, with no receive antenna!