From: Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft [via Elecraft]
[mailto:ml-node+s365791n761027...@n2.nabble.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2015 10:46 AM
To: W4GRJ
Subject: Re: KPA500 troubles

Hi Jack,

I apologize for any consternation this has caused you.

Since multiple components burned through the LPF  PC board, that is major
damage and would require replacement of the whole LPF board, which is a
major cost component of the amp. (Taking out this board and replacing it
requires disassembly and reassembly of a major portion off the amp.)  The
repair cost also includes the tech time to diagnose, disassemble, repair,
reassemble, retest and do full production TX burn-in of the amp on all
bands.

Component failure like this can occur in any manufacturer's radio or
amplifier for many reasons, such as power line surges, nearby lightning
strikes, operating with excessive SWR, transmitting into a wrong antenna
etc. You do not need to be operating on a particular band, or even have the
amp or radio on to incur lightning damage. This can also cause partial
damage to components that then shows up as a failure later after additional
operation.

As a side note, every year during lightning season we see a significant
increase in all sorts of 'interesting' repairs sent in to us on all of our
products. Many times the user is not even aware that a strike occurred
somewhere nearby while they still had their antennas connected.

I'll review your repair report with our techs to make sure we didn't over
charge for anything. I'll also check to see if they mis-identified which
band the destroyed LPF components were from.

73,
Eric
elecraft.com
_..._

Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

  _____

below:

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KPA500-troubles-tp7609284p7610277.html

To unsubscribe from KPA500 troubles, click here
<http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=unsubsc
ribe_by_code&node=7609284&code=dzRncmpAc2F0dGVyZmllbGQub3JnfDc2MDkyODR8LTE0O
TAyMDE2Mjc=> .

<http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_v
iewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.Basi
cNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template
.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_
emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml> NAML