Peter,

The XV144 was designed when the K2 was the primary intended driving transceiver (the K2 did not tune above 30 MHz), and the XV144 design point was primarily for CW and SSB operation on the low end of the band. Since the K2 did not tune above 30 MHz (and did not do FM), there was not much interest in having the XV144 output to be above 146MHz. Enter the K3 with its FM capability and tuning above 30MHz and the picture becomes "cloudy".

I do not know the range of the 28MHz nor the 144MHz bandpass filters in the XV144, so I cannot directly answer your question. Certainly the XV144 could be tuned to provide whatever coverage of the 2 meter band that you choose, but I do not know if the bandpass is sufficiently wide to cover the entire band with full power output or full RX sensitivity.

73,
Don W3FPR