I have a problem that appears to be changing, but I could use some help. The problem is RFI in the audio input (microphone input) when I use my vertical antenna on 40 meters. Here is a rundown of what has happened:

I have a 67-foot elevated vertical that I can use on 80 and 40, and it works fine on CW. However, on SSB, both bands, there clearly is feedback; there is no feedback on the other bands where I use a C3 yagi. Initially, the feedback was so bad that the rig would go into oscillation, and I had to turn the amp to standby.

I recently purchased the new KSYN3A and decided to install it. I replaced the K3 with my IC-730 backup, using the hand microphone that came with the 730. The 730 did not have any RFI. I finished the modification and returned the K3 as the operating rig. Now, the RFI on 40 seems to have diminished substantially or disappeared, but it still happens on 75/80. However, it seems to be much less there as well. I do not suspect that the KSYN3A had anything to do with this, but perhaps I tightened connections better when I returned the rig to service. I also redid some ground connections.

The microphone for the K3 is an Audio-Technica that works well everywhere else. It has a long cord, though. I put a few toroids on the cord near the microphone connector and that has possibly reduced RFI a little, but it is still there.

Is there a possibility that a bypass capacitor is bad, or has someone else had the problem and solved it externally to the K3? For instance, has anyone found that a long string of ferrite beads has cured this problem?

Despite decades of operating, I am hardly a troubleshooting hotshot, and I would appreciate guidance.

Thank you,

Jan, KX2A