Terry,

I do not really intend to answer your questions about the switching the feedline, that is up to you In the old days, we did that with a knife switch, or more 'rich and sophisticated' hams used a DPDT relay.

For the balun, the impedance at the shack end will determine whether a 4:1 or a 1:1 will be a better choice. Measure the impedance on all bands of interest with an antenna analyzer and use the results to figure out which will be the better compromise. The antenna feedpoint impedance will change from band to band, and the length of the feedline will transform that impedance to something else. If you have trouble matching it on any one band, try adding or subtracting 1/8 wavelength of feedline for that particular band and measure again.

73,
Don W3FPR