No extra devices, just the USB interface cable that comes with the KX3.
Connect it from a USB port on your computer to ACC1 on the KX3 (described on p.
5 in the KX3 manual).  You can use the KX3 Utility to test the connection (I
think you have to close the com port after testing it with KX3 Utility.
Otherwise N1MM will think it's still in use).

Go into the configure ports screen in N1MM and set COM3 to work with a KX3
(pulldown list) and click the SET button to set up the serial communication
parameters.  The latest version of N1MM even suggests the proper settings to
use for a KX3.

Not the most complete description, but I'm at the office and working from
memory, which is always dangerous for me.  I think you should be able to get it
running with this procedure.  You'll know it's working when you see the KX3's
frequency displayed in the upper left corner of N1MM's main window.

Hope this helps,

73,

Ken Alexander
VE3HLS