Robert: I agree, but perhaps it has to do with why one needs to gain a
certain proficiency.

I've been "pounding brass" as a Ham and commercial and military
radiotelegraph operator since I passed my Novice license in 1952.

I enjoy CW like many Hams enjoy casual SSB or FM QSOs; it's a way to carry
on lengthy conversations (rag chews). Others use CW mostly for contests. The
demands are different.

I got my last ARRL code proficiency certificate at 35 WPM about 1970. That
was copying by ear and on a mill (typewriter - computers weren't around
then) a full minute of plain text with no idea of what was coming next --
such as what one encounters in a rag chew. But my rag chews are invariably
20-25 wpm or less. That's what most other operators are running and it
allows me to putter around the shack while copying easily "in my head".
In a contest I can follow an exchange at 40 wpm or higher because I know
exactly what to expect and only need to copy the variables - number,
section, etc.

Perhaps for learning CW for contesting starting at the higher speed is
better, possibly using "Farnsworth" spacing in which highly exaggerated
spaces are left between letters at first and then slowly moving into a
normal spacing. For me it was as you suggest, from slow speed and then
upward, always striving to keep the proper element and word spacing.

One thing I've come to expect is that when learning code "your mileage may
vary" is certainly true. The "best" way for each of us is how each of us
learned!

73 Ron AC7AC