Ron makes a very important point here. Using an ATU in place of
properly resonating a Magnetic Loop is a no-no.

If the loop, at resonance, doesn’t provide a good match to 50 ohms, then it is
ok to use the ATU to “fix” the mismatch. Note the use of “fix” in quotations.
You are really not
fixing anything, just making the rig see a resistive 50 ohms or something close
to it
so that it is happy to deliver full power to the loop.  You will incur some
additional losses in the tuner, but they are likely minor. Just make sure you
properly resonate the loop before kicking in the ATU.

One additional  point worth mentioning.  A Magnetic transmitting loop fed via a
coupling loop works like a transformer.  The 1 to 5 ratio between the size of
the coupling loop as compared to the main loop provides an impedance
transformation that should normally give a good match to 50 ohms.  If, at
resonance, you are consistently seeing an SWR higher than what you would like
then it is possible to tweak things by either slightly moving the position of
the smaller coupling loop, or by slightly deforming the coupling loop in the
vertical plane (i.e. making it rounder or more oval).  It is usually easier to
just bend the coupling loop. The process is trial and error but usually you can
find a configuration that will yield a pretty good match on all bands covered
by the loop.

I had to do this with my MFJ-1786 Hi-Q Loop as the best match I could get at
resonance
was around 2:1 SWR. With a bit of tweaking it now typically around 1.5 : 1 SWR
on most
of the bands.

Michael VE3WMB

P.S.  Manually resonating a loop by ear is an acquired skill. With practice,
peaking band
noise will get you very close to resonance without transmitting. Then with a
second
or two of applied RF, aided by feedback from an SWR meter,  you should be able
to hit the loop resonance point pretty much dead-on.