All Guard armories everywhere had/have them since I was a teenager [when dirt was young]. They served/serve a specific purpose very well, wide band coverage where nobody is trying to work DX.

We had fan dipoles [2 or 3 freqs] in SE Asia, tough to tune, especially on missions. Fortunately, when they arrived with our gear, the guys in the Philippines had already adjusted and marked them.

I wonder sometimes why coupled-resonator dipole haven't caught on in the ham community. I've built several, the first when the WARC HF bands opened. They're cheap, easy to build, and extremely easy to adjust, and they're "a half-wave dipole" on every band with a predictable pattern and balanced feed. I've never done more than 3 bands, but I've heard in the past [anecdotally] doing 5 using those old crossed spacers designed for cage elements.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2016