I think stating any particular antenna configuration is unacceptable is
ignoring what could be an ideal antenna for a given situation.  As I
understand  it  a rhombic  uses a resistor, and sometimes works quite well.
On 160 I have an OCFD 1/2 wavelength that is goes from one side of the end
of a very small canyon  to the other.  The net result is that the center of
the antenna is about 80 feet above ground, the ends are only 50 ft above
ground. On flat ground this would be a NVIS antenna being so low; however,
with the ground 100 feet to the west at the same height as the antenna and
the ground 100 feet to the east being 300 feet below the antenna  I suspect
the pattern looks more like a beam pointing east. Considering I have broken
two important rules, the antenna is OCFD, and is on average it is well under
1/2 wavelength above ground it is amazing I can work the east so well.

73 Brian KF6C