I have both a K3 and a KX3 and have used a K2. The principle reason I would consider buying a K2 is for the joy of assembling the kit.

When I compare the KX3 and the K3, I think of the KX3 as being about 90% of the K3, but many options are standard on the KX3 but extra cost on the K3. (Note that the K3S is the same as the K3 in these examples.) Examples include:

The digital voice recorder -- standard on the KX3. Separate board for the K3. Two memories on the KX3 and 4 on the K3.

Dual Watch on the KX3 is a good example of the 90%. The same functionality is available on the K3 with the subreceiver. The difference between the two receive frequencies is limited on the KX3 while the K3 subreceiver is a separate receiver and can receive on different bands. Also, the dual watch needs to have wide enough bandwidth to cover both frequencies which can raise the received noise level.

General coverage: Standard on KX3, needs additional filter board on K3.

High stability local oscillator: Optional board for K3. Calibration procedure for KX3. (I suspect the K3's solution is more stable.)

100W amplifer: Internal on K3. A separate unit on the KX3.

The KX3 is a heck of a good value, and portable too.

73 Bill AE6JV