On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:52:03 -0600, Matt Osborn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I'm not certain I know how to understand what it is I'm measuring.  In
>my mind, I think much the 20 watts RF out of a CW signal is actually
>carrier and of not much  use.  When in SSB, I want to think that I can
>still put out the 20 watts, only now all concentrated in one sideband.
>
>Why does the power meter fail to show the 20 watts?

Thanks for the all the replies.  One of the difficulties of any new
venture is comprehending what it is that we see.

What I've learned here is that the V50 RF finals have a dynamic range
of 20 watts and will supply what the input signal demands up to 20
watts.  The CW signal, due to its increased intensity,  demands more
average power when compared to an SSB signal.

Using the Elecraft two tone generator, I found that the 1900hz tone
demands more power than the 700hz tone and when both tones are on, the
demand approaches that of the CW signal and is confirmed by the power
meter.

Thanks again for the education.