Nuf said, 100% ACK!

Thanks Jim,

happy holidays.

Udo, DK5YA

Am 18.12.2015 um 05:53 schrieb Jim Ewing:
Regarding posts reflecting impatience with KIO3B deliveries, other
displeasure:  I don't agree with you.  I have owned my K3 for about 2
months, after researching matters fully and finally making my decision to
buy.  As a benchmark, I also collect and operate Collins radios, which are
works of art and evoke the character, talent, vision and elegance of Art
Collins.  I love my K3 and greatly admire Elecraft for reasons that
parallel why I love Collins radios and the legacy of Art Collins.  In at
least these respects:

1.            Elecraft are people who clearly build these radios as a labor
of love.  They operate cw (sometimes during lunch break!), do QRP, hike and
accordingly know what’s needed to build radios that are a joy to operate –
even outdoors and on the trail where radios are put to the greatest test.
They come from a long line of great radios, having built the NorCal 40 and
the Sierra, among other great radios.  I can tell from the craftsmanship,
design, attention to detail and ergonomics, that my K3 is a labor of love.

2.            I admire their story.  I admire how Wayne Burdick left his
day job to start this company, and how Eric also bet his assets on the
venture as well.  They believe in and love what they do, and my K3 sitting
in my shack always reminds me of that powerful story.  They are not
beholden to the bankers who might encourage more massive production, corner
cutting and expediency, next-Q profit mentality over quality.  They have
the discipline to avoid spreading themselves too thin.  They have the
courage to keep their focus on doing things well, even if that sometimes
means we have to wait.  Sometimes, as here, good things come to people who
wait.

3.            Their manual is well written, well organized, cogent, and
pleasing-to-read – some of the best technical prose I have ever read (this
I can say after practicing telecoms patent law for 33 years).  The manual
is not just some random listing of buttons and features like you see in
other manufacturers’ manuals, but rather reflects the thought, care and
organization of someone who has put himself or herself in the operator’s
shoes.

4.            As a builder, I appreciate the thought, competence and
innovation reflected in how their circuits are designed, for maximum
performance and reliability, and minimal power consumption.  I also think
it’s great they don’t seem to feel compelled to hire a Jony Ive for the
latest cosmetic design in order to sell radios.

5.            Their customer support is orders of magnitude above everyone
else.  The other night, for example, I sent an email about some error
messages I was getting, and Elecraft responded with the correct fix early
the next morning.  Turns out I had inadvertently, in boneheaded fashion,
hit the Config button and changed a setting.  The level of care, tact and
patience reflected in the email, on top of the raw technical competence,
were not lost on me.

6.            That said, I am doubly dismayed, saddened and annoyed when my
reflector message list is fouled with the whining of people who seem blind
to these great radios and this great company.  People who whine because
they want whatever *right now *so they can dash off to their island without
delay, who are cheesed because the knobs are not sufficiently shiny, who
seem affronted by the notion of having to open their radio up to add some
of the amazing boards and circuits offered by this best-of-planet company
because it might mar the paint job.  I am reminded of that New Yorker
cartoon some years ago that shows a Met Patron standing in front of a Monet
and complaining, reflecting more on herself than on the artist.  Would you
people please *just stop*?

Thank you.

Jim Ewing

N4TMM

Message delivered to dk...@dk5ya.de

Webs by DK5YA:                           *
http://www.mmmonvhf.de/          [editor]*
http://www.vhfdx.de/             [owner] *
http://www.palekastro.de/        [owner] *
http://www.solweb.de/            [owner] *