I hope I haven't made a $150 mistake. I'm looking for information from other T1
Automatic Antenna Tuner owners ---->

A couple months ago I built a SoftRock RXTX 1 watt transceiver to use as a WSPR
sending and receiving rig. My intention was to use it on at least 20 and 30
meters, with the WSPR software doing "band hopping". The WSPR software, when
set to do band hopping, can be made to send a few seconds of continuous tone RF
so an attached antenna tuner could do it's thing before the WSPR stuff is
transmitted. The antenna I use is an 88 foot long doublet fed with 600 ohm
ladder line. Obviously this antenna needs to be used with a tuner. I purchased
the Elecraft T1 for this purpose.

I was under the impression that the "automatic" part of the T1 meant that it
would recall L/C values from memory automatically, so that when the WSPR
software changed bands on the SoftRock and the radio sent out it's tuning
signal, the T1 would see the RF frequency and automatically set the recalled
L/C values. Mine does not.

I am testing the newly-built T1 with my KX3. Here is what happens: First, I put
the T1 into auto mode, and then I set the KX3 to a frequency on 20 meters and
make the T1 tune. This works fine; my SWR on the KX3 goes from ugly to 1:1.
Then I go to 30 meters and do the same thing. If I now put the KX3 back on 20
meters on that exact same frequency and press my key, I have the ugly SWR back
again. I thought this tuner would recall the previous setting when it saw that
20 meter RF. But alas, it does not.

So, my question is - have I messed something up in building the tuner, am I
doing something wrong in my procedure, or have I bought myself a Christmas
present I can't use?

Jim Bennett / W6JHB
Folsom, CA