Peter,

Not practical - you will have to be satisfied with controlling the level of
the drive to the linear.

In most cases, using ALC is not a good idea IMHO because it is normally set
to be an indicator of gain compression which is another way of saying
'beginning to operate in a non-linear region' - so operating by depending on
ALC is a recipe for creating distortion.  As a parallel, you may want to
consider why operators using PSK31 and other digital modes are instructed to
opeate the equipment at a level below where ALC begins to operate to assure
a good IMD figure - if ther is ALC action, distortion is occurring.

The KPA100 uses a wattmeter at the output and communicates this information
to the base K2 uP then uses that information to control the BFO injection in
the K2 in order to control the power output.  I would guess (but I don't
know) that the 'to be announced' Elecraft linear will use a similar scheme
rather than using the ALC method to achieve output power control and assure
that the linear remains linear.

73,
Don W3FPR